Protecting your smile while playing sports is essential when you have braces. Mouthguards help protect your teeth and gums from injury. If you participate in basketball, boxing, hockey, football, gymnastics, lacrosse, martial arts, racquetball, rugby, track and field, skateboarding, skiing and snowboarding, skydiving, soccer, surfing, volleyball, water polo, weightlifting, wrestling, Aurora Orthodontics and the Canadian Association of Orthodontists recommend that you wear a mouthguard.
Types of Mouthguards
Pre-made and boil-and-bite mouthguards can be purchased at most sporting goods stores. They are generic, made to fit most mouths of youths and adults. They are inexpensive, but also difficult to get a proper fit.
Custom-made mouthguards from Aurora Orthodontics are specially designed to custom fit each individual, which can allow for easier breathing and speaking. They are the most recommended option for sports players at all levels. They are custom made to provide our patients a seamless and comfortable fit, along with the greatest level of protection.
Why do you need a mouthguard?
Anyone participating in sports where there may be contact should wear a mouthguard.
- Helps reduce chance of concussion
- Protects jaw joints against injury
- Protects soft tissues from injury
- Cushions teeth against impact
- Helps prevent injuries to the jaws and neck
- Prevents teeth chipping and breaking
- Prevents biting your tongue or lips
Taking Care of Your Mouthguard
- The mouth contains bacteria and plaque, which is why it is important to clean your mouthguard with a toothbrush and toothpaste after each use.
- Store it in its protective case.
- To prevent it from melting or becoming deformed, keep it out of hot water or the sun.
- Avoid chewing on it.
- Replace it if it doesn't fit properly and at the beginning of a new sports season.
Show your team spirit!
Aurora Orthodontics offers a large collection of different colours and patterns for our patients to choose from. We even host mouthguard clinic parties at our Aurora orthodontic office where we invite local teams to our office for a pizza lunch and free giveaways including custom-made mouthguards with our office logo imprinted into each mouthguard with their team colours!
Sports related injuries to the mouth and jaw are some of the most common injuries received by athletes. Our goal is to help minimize your chances of a sports related injury to your smile. Be sure to ask Dr. Shojaei about mouthguards at your next appointment at our Aurora orthodontic office—GO TEAM!